Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sung Un-Heroes Part 1

If you're reading the title and thinking, "Wait, isn't the phrase 'un-sung hero'?," I bite my thumb at thee. This is why I'm writing and you're reading. I mean what I say and I say what I mean. Usually. This is not an exception.

Instead, it's an ode to lines from songs (hence the 'sung') that will never win accolades or grammy awards or any of that (un-heroes...get it now?). But, they all have a special place in my heart. To some, that's the most valuable prize of them all. If you're now thinking, "Ok, ok let's get on with it," you're forgiven. I like to ramble on.

Now, I have a long list so for now, I'm going to restrict my list to artists beginning with the letter 'B.'

1. Song 2 by Blur
"I got my head checked
By a Jumbo Jet"
Do you really need an explanation as to why I like it? I mean...he just got his head checked. By a jumbo jet!

2. Kya Soorat Hai by Bombay Vikings
"I am just an ordinay guy,
I ain't no macho man, I ain't no hi-fi"
Poetic? Yes. Creative? Of course. Brilliant? Absolutely.
This song is full of gems like this but just this once, I said to myself "Ok you're going to have to choose your favourite child." So I did. And how.

3. Intergalactic by The Beastie Boys
"I like my sugar with coffee and cream"
I like this because I agree. Simple.

4. Million Dollar Bash by Bob Dylan
"Well, I looked at my watch I looked at my wrist
Punched myself in the face with my fist"
It rhymes and makes me laugh. I'm a simple chap and simple things make me laugh.

5. Show Me the Meaning by the Backstreet Boys
"Show me the meaning of being lonely"
Um, if this hypothetical person did exist, he/she (yes, I'm politically correct...big ups to the female readers) wouldn't be able to show them the meaning of being lonely because they would be with each other and therefore would not be lonely. Why do I like this? Because it proves to me (and now to you all) that I can over-analyze nonsense. It helps me sleep better at night.

1 comment:

Shakes said...

my favorite weird line (not including anything by Beck from "Loser" where nothing makes sense):

"cause she's the cheese and i'm the macaroni" - Get it Together, Beastie Boys