Sunday, April 12, 2009

Time goes by...

One of the things I like to have a list of is "Places to hit up to kill time" in the city. Yeah there are the typical sleeping, going to museums, hanging out at the park kinda deals but you can only do so much of that. So anyway, here's my latest list:

During the day, when stores are open:

1. Virgin Records
Sadly, this will soon be a thing of the past. I've spent countless hours of my life at these stores and would gladly repeat over and over. Whether it's the new releases section in the front or the electronic music section in the back, Virgin is quite magical. I've discovered more than a few gems here, thanks to the way stuff is displayed but more importantly, the store has also rescued me when nature has called.

2. Bookstores - Barnes&Noble, Borders etc.
This is probably the easiest place to kill time. Why? Bookstores have books. Books are interesting and enjoyable. Reading books takes time. Connect the dots - Bookstores are an enjoyable way to kill time. Plus, they usually have cafes that overcharge you for little nonsense like scones n shit but I feel compelled to buy something anyway, as a sort of tolling fee for reading their books without buying any. They also have answering machines for nature-calls.

In the morning, before most stores open:

1. Street Markets:
Although these cannot satisfy my urinary or defecatory needs, they're generally awesome places to kill time. There's always a plethora of interestng characters selling overpriced junk to fools that think they're getting a super deal (I have been amongst the fools many times). These markets also usually have good food and drink that's fun to munch/sip on while you walk around.

2. Barbershops:
These usually open early and always have space for walk-ins in the morning. Few things in life make me as happy as getting a good haircut (shampoo, massage and all). Maybe it's just me but being able to sit there in a comfy chair, sipping on tea or a beverage of my choice, while someone (usually an attractive female) plays with my hair whilst shampooing and cutting it makes me smile. It also makes me look like a true hero. Always.

In the evening, when stores are closed:

1. Sheesha/Hookah
I'd like to think of my system as being fairly free of debauchery-related toxins and so my conscience and the joy of sheesha allow me to hit up a sheesha bar every now and then. Usually, Horus Cafe (10th and A, not 6th and B) is the destination of choice. An orange sheesha, a mixed grill platter and two hours later, I'm a happy chap.

Late at night, after leaving the bars and before going to bed:

1. Korean BBQ
Three words: Kum Gang Sang. I don't know what the hell that means, but to me it represents so much more than a 24-hour Korean barbeque place that has great food. Where else can you have:
a) rock climbing
b) a waterfall
c) a white piano that is sometimes played and
d) science lessons
while you stuff your face with bulgogi? The answer is nowhere. Nowhere but KGS (and I'm not referring to the Karachi Grammar School). Added bonus: the panchan keeps changing and they've been throwing in added freebies like salad and dessert as well. What an experience.

No comments: