Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shameless Advertisement #1

So I don't usually do this but every once in a while you come across something that makes you toss the rules out the window and say, "Yes I can." That something is called Dogmatic. Located in the northwestern corner of Union Square lies this temple of goodness. I walked by it a couple of weeks ago and made a mental note to return. I didn't realise that by not going in then I was depriving myself of immense pleasure.

What is this Dogmatic nonsense you ask? I pity your ignorance - not for the sake of not knowing but for the sake of your stomach that has not yet experienced the pleasure of a Dogmatic dog. They call it the Gourmet Sausage System. But I think it's so much more. That three word tag-line, while catchy and all, hardly does justice to the joy that this place brings. Here's one of the many reasons why you should go to Dogmatic (I don't care where in the world you are):

1. The Wall Mural
It basically shows you the how the meat gets from the farm to Union Square. But no, it doesn't just show a pig, a slaughter-house, a sausage maker, a truck and the restaurant. Oh no no no. How silly of you to even think of such a thing you creativity-lacking fool. Robots carrying sausages, men lifting buildings, flying trucks dropping baguettes, oh my!

2. Home-made Sodas
The lemon-lime tastes like fresh-lime soda you get in India, the ginger soda tastes like really good ginger ale and the coconut tastes like nothing you've tasted before but something you wish you had invented.

3. The Communal Table
I'm not usually a fan of communal seating but they got it right. It's big enough that you don't have to talk to the people around you and yet it's small enough for you to evesdrop if you want to. The "stools" are suspended and slide out from under the table and they have hooks under the table to hang your coats or shopping bags. Genius.

4. Friendly Staff
I've written a little about how much a friendly staff can enhance the experience at a store or a restaurant and this proves my point. They're super friendly and chirpy without being annoying. And since I went there 3 times in 2 days, we even had some nonsense conversations.

5. The Ice Cream
The first time I was there they passed around free samples of their vanilla ice-cream and I was sold. It's some of the best vanilla ice-cream I've had in a long time and the fudge sauce on it makes it even better, if that's possible.

6. The Hot-dogs themselves
I mean, it is a hot-dog place so why would I be raving about it if they had crap hot dogs? Yes, their hot-dogs are amazing. Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Pork or Lamb (they have a vegetarian version that substitutes two asparagus spears for the meat. Lame, but yet I have the urge to try it out just because it seems like this place can do no wrong). Good bread. Jalapeno-cheddar, truffle-gruyere, sundried tomato-feta or mint-yogurt sauce (the chimichurri isn't that good and I don't like horseradish). Mmmmmmmm

What's that you say? There must be something bad about the place? Well, I do provide objective opinions about everything so here's the part that could be negative.

1) It isn't open super late...yet. I asked them about it and they said they were going to extend the hours for summer time. So this will soon be removed from the "negatives" list.

2) Sadly, Dogmatic hasn't been able to screen their clientele very well. Some of the people there were kinda lame aka the two guys I was sitting opposite the first time I went there. They were talking about some weird nonsense and being loud and annoying.

3) The don't have a bathroom! This is the big downer. However, there's a Barnes and Noble a few feet away that has plenty.

Some call it meat with bread. Some call it gourmet fast food. Some call it a haute-dog. I just called it Magic. Plain and simple.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA I enjoyed this post a lot. If I'm ever in New York I'll make it a point to stop by and get a bite.

It does sound a lot like a clever response to the shake shack at Madison Square Park. I don't know too many people who have gotten to trying their hot dogs because their burgers are just too delectable. Their hand spun shakes and frozen custard, I didn't even know what frozen custard was before the shake shack.

Those hooks by the way are for purses. I guess you could improvise and hang your shopping bags and coats...but they are essentially for women's handbags and whatever junk they carry in them. I call it junk because they always complain about how heavy the bag is but won't admit that 80% of the contents non-essential.

Also I've decided to create an identity for myself hoping that other readers will respond. I'm a little bored of being the only commentator.

Muna-Buton

(I just hit random on wikipedia, they never fail to surprise you)