Thursday, March 12, 2009

Susu Research File #438957

In my last post I mentioned how I almost always order either ginger ale or bloody mary mix on an airplane but never on land. I spoke to a few people about it and apparently, this is something that a lot of people have noticed as well. Here I thought I had come up with an astute observation, but alas, I was not the first. This is similar to the time I thought I had discovered how to make fart sounds with my hands, only to realise that every 8 year old knew my magical discovery. But I digress. The stratospheric beverage anomaly (I might not have discovered it, but I have now named it. I win. I win.) got me thinking and I was determined to find out the true cause of this.

For ginger ale, the most convincing explanation I found was that ginger helped relieve queeziness that many people experience on airplanes. I don't know if it's an Indian thing but a little ginger juice or sucking on a piece of ginger is often prescribed to cure nausea. Ginger ale has ginger (at least in the name). Makes sense.

For bloody mary mix, on the other hand, the explanation that had me sold was that it can prevent you from getting DVT on an airplane. That's a good reason to drink tomato juice...living kinda rocks. However, I definitely don't order it for that reason and I'm sure most people that order it dont even know what DVT is. So that doesn't answer my question...why the hell do so many people oder bloody mary mix on planes???I personally just drink it because I like the taste. Here are a few reasons cited by peeps that I uncovered during my research:

1. It goes well with salty snacks like peanuts and pretzels (or do the peanuts and pretzels go well with the bloody mary mix? hmmm).

2. It's free on planes and more expensive than coke (the beverage, not the drug mr. one-track-mind) at a grocery store

3. It's a meal in a can

4. It mixes well with the vodka in my hip flask. I assumed that was what everyone else was doing too!

5. It makes you pee less than water does

6. It's like a quirky nerd - less popular, but more intriguing

7. I feel like I have to cuz the guy next to me always orders one

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the guy who started the trend knew about DVT, but I doubt that. It's just a thing, like why are mimosas and bellinis primarily brunch drinks? Why do sports = beer? I can't enjoy a nice glass of red wine during a football match that would just be weird.

Do restaurants carry ginger ale? I feel like I know people who ask for ginger ale at restaurants and are always turned down. Maybe planes are one place you can get ginger ale without being disappointed.

Ooo here's a more creative approach, after having a glass of ginger ale i've never had a weird after taste or found myself wanting more, it isn't as addictive. On the plane you usually have to end up waiting at least 20 minutes before you get the attention of a stewardess or you have to wait for the cart to come around again. For an impatient person like me (I switch the stewardess "call" button on and off over and over again so the flashing light starts to irritate them and they have no choice but to serve me), having ginger ale on a plane allows the staff to take their time.