Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sounds n things

A lot of people often criticize me for liking songs without paying attention to, or appreciating the lyrics. While this is sometimes the case, I still like to listen to songs for the simple reason that they sound good. My ears approve of these songs and my brain agrees. It's sort of like food from taco bell where you don't really know what it is, but you like it anyway. So to prove my point, here are a few songs that I like a lot in languages that I don't understand at all. They still sound great and I have the excuse of not needing to understand the lyrics because, well, they're in a language I don't understand at all. I just said that. And for all of you that are going to look up translations and tell me I would like the songs even more if I read them, all I can say to you is this.

1. Praan by Gary Schyman (Background music for the Where the Hell is Matt? video)
Language: Bengali
Interesting Fact: The words are actually an excerpt from Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913).

2. Kaze Wo Atsumete by Happy End (From the Lost in Translation Soundtrack)
Language: Japanese
Interesting Fact: The song is from the 70's even though it sounds pretty contemporary. Also, for some reason there is little to no information about the song on the internet. The link is not the original but it's all I could find...so much for youtube having everything.

3. Neunundneunzig Luft Balons by Nena
Language: German
Interesting Fact: The cold-war protest song was so named because the guitarist saw balloons being released at a Rolling Stones concert and wondered what might happen if they floated over the Berlin Wall.

4. Mi'Ma'amakim by The Idan Raichel Project
Language: Hebrew
Interesting Fact: The chap was conscripted to the Israeli army and played in the army rock band and toured military bases.

5. Now We Are Free by Lisa Gerrard and Hanz Zimmer (From the Gladiator Soundtrack)
Language: Hebrew
Interesting Fact: Hans Zimmer, wearing a dark suit and playing the keyboard, appears in the video to 'Video Killed the Radio Star' by The Buggles which was also the first video to ever be aired on MTV.

6. Volare by Gipsy Kings
Language: Calo
Interesting Fact: They sing in Calo, not Spanish. Also, if you ever play Volare at a party, everyone will sing slong. Everyone.

7. Didi by Khaled
Language: Arabic
Interesting Fact: He's called Cheb Khaled which means "Young Man Khaled" even though he's quite an old chap now.

No comments: