Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Predictions

The Oscars begin in less than an hour and as usual, I find myself wishing I had watched more of the nominated movies. I'm only going to predict winners for categories that I pay attention to. No offense to the peeps that work extremely hard and make these movies so much more than what they would otherwise be, but I don't even know what "art direction" really is. And I took Film 101.

However, based on stuff I've read, my intuition, rumours I've heard and my ability to eliminate all but one option based on no logic, here are my predictions:

1. Actor in a leading role
Mickey Rourke...he dresses the part and people love a comeback story. If he thanks his dogs again (he did after he won the Golden Globe) it'll probably be a first.
Winner: Sean Penn

2. Actor in a supporting role
Heath Ledger...he was pretty awesome and I'm sure his OD'ing will help his cause
Winner: Heath Ledger

3. Actress in a leading role
Meryl Streep...too senior to not win
Winner: Kate Winslet

4. Actress in a supporting role
Penelope Cruz...this will be the upset win. They love throwing in some curve-balls to show they also support offbeat cinema rather than just big banner films
Winner: Penelope Cruz

5. Animated feature film
Kung Fu Panda...supporting China will be good for the economy
Winner: Wall-E

6. Cinematography
Slumdog Millionaire...cuz I'm Indian
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire

7. Costume design
Benjamin Button...only because the other movies nominated here are too similar to previous winners in this category
Winner: The Duchess

8. Directing
Slumdog Millionaire...I'm still Indian. Frost/Nixon also deserves it.
Winner: Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

9. Foreign Language
The Class...it's the only one I've watched
Winner: Departures

10. Makeup
Benjamin Button...it's obvious
Winner: Benjamin Button

11. Music (Score)
Slumdog Millionaire...I like A.R. Rahman
Winner: A.R. Rahman

12. Music (Song)
Slumdog Millionaire...I like the combination of M.I.A. and A.R. Rahman even more. And it has a 66.67% chance of winning.
Winner: A.R. Rahman for Jai Ho

13. Best Picture
Slumdog Millionaire...see 8. The book (Q&A by Vikas Swaroop) was a lot better though.
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire

14. Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Frost/Nixon...watch it and you will know why.
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire

15. Writing (Original Screenplay)
Milk...political correctness
Winner: Milk

No comments: